Dog had eyelids scalped off left almost blind after acid attack

Heartless owners are believed to have abused a two-year-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which was taken to a vet after being spotted drinking from a puddle with extensive damage to its head and eyes. The dog, renamed Raya after being rescued, was discovered in northern France almost blind and with its head damaged by acid.

The dog was found on May 7 by a local resident in Hérouval Road in Montjavoult, a town in the Oise region.

Annick Morin, who found the dog, told local newspaper Courrier Picard: "I saw the animal drinking from a puddle, I listened to my instinct and I took her to a veterinary clinic when I saw her condition."

Among the horrific injuries it had suffered, the animal appeared to have had its eyelids scalped off.

Elodie Sialelli, a resident in the town who temporarily took in the dog, said: "We think that the former owners tried to sew them up without succeeding."

Initial findings by experts who assisted the dog led to think the acid burns may have been caused "two to three weeks ago", Ms Sialelli said.

The local resident, who kept the dog at her home for some 48 hours before handing it over to the Fondation Assistance aux Animaux, branded what the animal had suffered "absolutely revolting".

She added: "The dog doesn't get along with other dogs. We don't know her past. But it is sweet with people."

Describing the senseless abuse endured by the animal rights association said: "This dog has suffered the worst of what humans can do."

Ms Sialelli said the dog "will be fine" but is still undergoing treatment.

It is hoped vets can enable the dog to partially save the little sight it has left.