Hero dogs save sleeping owners from terrifying fire
A couple who were fast asleep as their house went up in flames this weekend were rescues by their dogs, Essex Fire Service has confirmed.
The pets alerted their owners to the huge fire at a house in Essex by barking in the early hours of the morning.
Fire crews extinguished the blaze which ripped through the detached house in Dunmow Road, Takeley, after being called at 2.43am on Sunday.
The couple who lived at the property were fast asleep until the two dogs signalled there was an emergency.
Station manager Terry Maher said: “The owners were alerted to the fire by their dogs barking in the early hours of this morning.
“The fire started in an outbuilding at the rear of the property and quickly spread to the roof of the house.
“Crews worked incredibly hard, particularly due to the limited water supply, and did a fantastic job in saving the property and horses who were in a nearby stable.”
He added: "Crews worked incredibly hard, particularly due to the limited water supply, and did a fantastic job in saving the property and horses who were in a nearby stable.
"I'd also like to thank Stansted Airport Fire Service who were able to support us."
Essex Fire Service said they managed to save horses at a nearby stable, with the help of neighbours, who described waking to a “sea of orange”.
A neighbour told BBC News they woke to find the couple who live in the house, in the garden with their two Chihuahuas.
Another spoke of helping crews lead three horses from nearby stables.
They said: “It was absolutely terrifying – the stables had filled with smoke, the horses were terrified and we had to lead them through blowing smoke and blowing embers.
“They were really good in the circumstances, but they were obviously traumatised by what was going on as there were blue lights everywhere, there was the fire and it was dark.
“You’re on autopilot then afterwards the shock hits you, but you can’t leave a horse to die of smoke inhalation.”