Cat gets her foot clamped in the jaws of an illegal 'gin trap'

Shocking photos show how a pet cat suffered 'horrific' injuries after her paw became wedged inside an illegal animal trap.

Police said Belle was caught in the jaws of the banned device while walking close to her home, in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, on Wednesday, October 26.

Incredibly, the maimed feline managed to crawl back home to her stunned owner, but vets who are now treating her think they may have to amputate her leg.

The brutal spring-operated mechanism, known as a Gin Trap, were used to capture stoats and foxes but were officially banned in 1958.

PC Cath McDay, of Gloucestershire Constabulary's Rural Crime Team, warned local pet owners to remain vigilant.

She said: ' To witness a pet in this situation is horrific - no one should have to go through this as a result of a careless person who has set a trap illegally - for whatever the intended purpose.

'Gin Traps were banned for use in 1958, and the use of traps is governed by the Pests Act 1954.'